Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Good News and Bad News


We lost to a crappy punker band, supposedly by one vote. I honestly have no idea what this band has on us but it was enough to lose. I thought (and so did many others) that we played one of our best shows. Much of this was due to the fact that a rep from Universal Records was sitting in the audience. Stage presence, the one area our band can sometimes be weak, was actually great that night. Robert and Steven are usually very mellow on stage but knowing that Universal was watching got even them to rock out. Let me just state that by saying the following I don’t mean to sound arrogant but the general consensus after all four bands played was that we would be the winner. So much so that when the winners were announced a silence fell over the room for a few seconds and was finally broken only by the winners saying, "Are you serious?" Disappointing as losing was there still was a sense of accomplishment because the one person we wanted to impress, The Rep, absolutely loved us.

Having listened to the demo, she new what we sounded like but demo recordings are only so good. Before we played we talked to her and she seemed mildly interested. We talked about the industry and it’s difficulties and how she liked our sound but she wasn’t kissing our butts or anything. But after we played she talked to Ferocious and said she was definitely gonna bring a big shot next week. Since we didn’t win I guess they’ll have to wait until our next show but things are really looking good. I try not to get to excited because I know that the likelihood of something happening is pretty slim BUT you never know.

All of this is even more exciting when someone you know is going through it. Our friends’ band, Dizmas, just got signed to Sparrow Records (Switchfoot, Lifehouse, Newsboys). They spent a lot of time negotiating and touring to get where they are, and now they are recording a full length, major label debut. When they are done I can go to Best Buy and pick it up. These are guys I went to high school with! It’s nuts and I’m so happy for them. They have been doing the band thing for about 8 years now so they deserve it. I think I’m gonna go take a nap and dream of being a rockstar…some more.

Movie: Se7en

No comments: